Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Of all the knitting magazines on all the news stands....

Last year I was soo gleeful about ordering all the known knitting magazines available in north America. At the time I was sure this was a really good idea. I had had my fill of getting an issue of the one or two that I was usually getting and being completely disgusted that the darn thing didn’t have a single pattern I would touch with some else’s needles. Or, skipping picking one up on the rack and discovering too late that it had a couple of good ones I would have liked to have seen.

With credit card in had I began logging into the various sites. I have discovered a few things.

One, just because you have an order confirmation does not insure that the subscription is paid for. More than one of the companies waited as long as 4 weeks to attempt to charge my card. Then, when it didn’t go through ….

Two, I had envisioned sitting down to roughly one issue a month and enjoying a leisurely read. Wrong! They are all quarterly and seem to arrive all at once. I have discovered unwrapped issues sitting in the read me pile along with the oil industry and construction trade magazines. A fun little surprise, until you realize that I picked up at lest two of these on the news stand “since I didn’t have it”…. To the tune of about 4 to 6 bucks a pop…

Three, I did get more patterns I liked. And that would be the crux of the problem. I now have in addition to the ones the kids picked out when they were here… 30 yes, I said 30 projects on the needles.

Kat made the comment that she must be knitting faster since I wasn’t finishing any projects lately and she was getting all these things finished.

Gee, I thought I was in danger of giving up sleep to knit. Just, no matter what I do, I can’t seem to make and any headway. Two to four inches is about all I can get done before I am forced or called to work on one of the other projects.

Did I mention I had found some wonderful vintage yarns on Ebay and I had started projects with that… not on the list of 30.

I renewed Knitting Today. I got an issue today. They changed it to Knitting Life. I think I am delighted to report that it sucks. They dropped all the features that I had decided to get it for. And expanded the crap I was willing to overlook. The bright side is that there was not even one pattern in an ad let alone featured in the magazine that I have ANY intention of ever knitting!

Thank God!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment