Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thoughts on the process

Staring at the blank page to write the blog is a lot like staring at the stash.
There is so much potential there. One can with the correct ingredients make a masterpiece. Or, you can make a frog.
Sadly I seldom get to do either. My days are spent full of work and Don and the kids. I only get about half of my time at my place. And. When I do there is something else calling for my attention.
Yet, this never seems to slow down the demand for knitted goods from my tribe or to put an end to the 6 to 8 projects I always seem to have going. I wonder why?
Usually I am rummaging through the bags and buckets in a quest for some yarn that I just know that I have and Tori is managing to swear doesn’t exist, or if it did it was in a prior era. I resort to going back to paypal on occasion to find the picture of the yarn.
Proving that I bought it seldom phases Tori. She just swears I gave it away or have knitted it. Not likely, but…. She has on occasion been the guilty party who copped it for one of her projects.
A quick dig usually lands the sought after prize in my lap for closer examination.
Then it is on.
I begin by comparing the pattern I have with the yarn. I do not ever go out and buy yarn from the pattern. #4 yarn is #4 yarn etc. And I tend to translate up or down on the weight and the needles as it is. I do swatches and get my gauge and go from there.
I will most likely have made a copy of the pattern at the office. (Wonderful boss who doesn’t care if I use the copier).
At this point I begin writing on it to “fix it”.
The notes are for the yarn and the needles.
Sometimes as in the case of a dress I am currently working on the pattern turned out to be rough guide for something I liked but had no intention of actually knitting. That was started as a “one skein wonder” from the book by the same. The pattern is called Diatema and is a completely seamless top. I have made it a couple of times and love it. Soooo I decided to turn the boat neck into a square neck. I am still debating on adding sleeves, however, I am sure that I have enough yarn to keep going and make it a dress. I pulled cashmere, silk and wool to make one yarn. And all the browns and blacks and whites will go great with a black jacket or sweater and some pumps.
Yes that is the other idiosyncrasy I have. I combine yarns. Generally they are fine lace and fingerling weights that when pulled together as one yarn becomes a nice worsted weight.
Guess that will have to be a photo post when it’s done, huh?
In the meantime I forwarded a Lola cartoon to my knitting group. Caption was: When it becomes necessary I’ll go through the stash. I would say that’s about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment