Monday, February 21, 2011

Missing my baby girl.....

What shall I blog about today?

I have been looking at various knitting blogs. They are all quite good in so many ways. I feel they have attributes far better than ours. For one thing Tori never writes anything. I encourage her to jot down just anything, but alas…. No smoke.

She is pretty well consumed with her wedding. As I think it should be. And she is pretty discouraged that she feels she shouldn’t attend any of my knit meets for fear of insulting my dearest friend. I don’t see her knit so much or even crochet these days. I’m not worried.

Knitting is a pastime for those who have the capacity to sit; an iron ass in riding terms.

I didn’t have one for a while. I barely knitted more than the scarf for an outfit for years. The odd pair of mittens and finally the odd baby blanket. My life for a good while was full of work and life. That sounds silly. But I was all about working two and three jobs. I taught at Our Clay Cabin as a pottery and ceramics instructor and worked construction running jobs with Pap and then did the office thing for our company. I seem to recall I had a decent social life at the time too. Oh, and I was working my way through my first degree back then as well.

I picked up knitting in the odd winter weekends when weather kept me in. I would knock out scarves to accompany a coat or an outfit. I began a shawl for my Grandmother while I was on my back with broken ribs. I didn’t finish that until many years later. (I only stayed in bed for a few days…. I strapped on my other Granny’s old corset and went back to work…)

It wasn’t until after “the summer of weddings” that I returned to knitting in earnest. I had knitted shawls for my bridesmaids… that didn’t count… But in February after our wedding in November, I found out that I didn’t have food poisoning, but was “with child”. A long bout of morning noon and night sickness left me unable to work my long hours and put me in the office and only taking my last two courses in order to get my degree.. I was suffering from some serious Braxton-hicks contractions too. My OBGYN suggested I take up a hobby. My husband gave a rather derisive snort. At the moment I was indulging in a passion for repelling into sinkholes. Not exactly a highly recommended pre-natal sport.

But I took it into my head to make wonderful creations for my unborn. I just knew it would be a boy. I made all sorts of cute little guy things. The only thing that ever got much use was the pastel variegated blanket. I had a girl….

I miss Tori’s enthusiasm over yarn. I miss the knitting meets with her as my sidekick. I miss the hunt for yarn and even little scrabbles over who would get what when we went through it. I am not too worried. Last week she had me buy a half finished blanket and the yarn from Marita so she would have a head start on the blanket for her and Leon’s bed.

She’ll be back with me soon enough.

1 comment: