Thursday, February 17, 2011

Under the influences

In our area the is a quaint little yarn shop called: Knitting Under the Influence.

I have never gotten to know Nancy well enough to ask exactly she is under the influence of. She’s an elderly lady with some odd ideas about knitting and money and the price of yarn. I used to go from time to time to covet her stock…. I can’t afford her yarn and I feel deep regret that I can merely look. I did send my son for a pair of glass needles. Yes, glass. They looked good and he wanted to know what to get me. He also picked up a copy of the Yarn Harlot and I have loved it and him ever since.

But, I digress.

I find lately that I am the one who is knitting under the influence.

When I did the buy it now on the 000 and 0000 knitting needles I was under the influence of Kat and her tiny little crochet hooks and her gossamer weight yarn…. All 6000 yards of it….

When I got the entire set of Tunisian crochet hooks I was under the influence of Pam and her simply breathe taking table runners. I bought the hundred pounds of chenille from Marita because I coveted her patterns she is writing. I couldn’t write a pattern to save my hide; but I sure would love to create half the stuff she has. I got the two sets of 14 pairs of addi circular needles when I realized that the lapghan and the two diateemas I had started were going to bottle neck because I only had one set of #10 circular needles and all three projects call for them. I got the ball winder when I realized that there HAD to be an easier way to shift than to drag around commercial size cones of yarn for half my projects. I started buying commercial size cones of yarn when I discovered that the price for one cone divided by the number of yards of yarn made it dirt cheep. (Channel my Granny Rose and her southern belle ways). I really go into it when I figured out pulling three or four colors together to make my own yarns. (Blame my father and his engineering skills…. Why buy a tool if you can make one you like better for less)

I dream about the day when Don and I retire to the cabin in the deep woods. I envision myself knitting the garments we need and that I want to give the kids and grandkids. My choices will be based on what is practical and will fit form and function best. I will stick to the tried and true. I will use only yarn from the sheep and goats that we raise. I will be just like my beloved grandmother Maude. I will only be influenced by need and durability.

Yeah, right.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea. Lynn and I talk about a little bed and breakfast where she can paint and I can knit when we have done in the poor male souls that love us! Just ask them and they will tell you that we will be the end of them!:)

    ReplyDelete