Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Here I am again.
I am still working on the sweater for Don.
Sort of.
You see Don’s daughter Jenny has need of a compression sleeve and glove.
I’ve been told exactly what the name of her condition is, but at the moment I haven’t a clue what the correct term is. Suffice it to say without divulging too much about the lovely teenager who needs the sleeve and glove in order to reduce the pain and slow the effects.

I, in a fit of pique over the heat in NW Louisiana, attempted to knit standard crochet thread. It worked well enough. I used #1 and #0 needles and in a simple garter stitch I made one of my Pythagorean Afghans.

Yes, I can hear you saying: “ a what what”? It’s a pattern of my own design that I came up with roughly 30 years ago when the first baby out grew the first “blankie” and wanted a bigger one. About this time, I realized just how mind numbing it was to cast on 508 stitches.
If I can round up one that doesn’t show too much signs of battle wear I will take some pictures and print the pattern.

I digress. Point is Dearest Kat has taught me to love micro knitting. When I found out that the sleeve and glove Jenny normally wears is unbelievably expensive and she is in the horrible position of not having SSI and Medicare, or even Medicaid, the immortal words sprang to my head: “I can knit that”!!!!!!!

I came to the conclusion that I am a Zimmerman knitter. I prefer to think of the knitting as a way to make a fabric that fits the wearer. This project will be a test of that. I look at it as a fairly strait forward item. Yet, her arm is not uniform in shape. I can see the use of some short rows and the engineering issue of the proper amount stretch and give to be of real use and not too constricting.
I am going to go with a garter stitch. I think it will offer more stretch. It will be simple and mindless for lunch and waiting knitting. If it works she will have relief.

As always I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment