Monday, August 30, 2010

On the purchase of yarns.


I wanted to touch on the subject of yarn. I have heard other knitters go on about it and I know that I am not alone in my simple love of it.
Yarn must feel a certain way, must flow in my fingers, and even smell good.
That is why I am such a source of fun for my colleagues. When a box of yarn arrives in the mail I become a small child under the Christmas tree.
Allow me to back up a bit.
I love Ebay.
It is my largest source of yarn and knitting needles.
I can get Addi’s in from the orient for next to nothing.
I can fill my needle collection with square needles.
I get pounds of yarn for a mere “bit”.
First I have the fun search. “$0.01 to $2.00; free shipping.” I see something I like well enough and bid a couple bucks. Most of the time I am outbid. From time to time I win.
Usually it is a couple of skeins that are planned to be worked into a project. I have some of the best combos for my entralac projects that way.
Then there are the more serious searches.
Cones of yarn.

Simply yarn on a cone. Often machine knitting yarn of a tiny gauge. Wonderful for combining with other yarns to make my own “yarn”. Also these are great for making lace and other micro knitting projects.
“Pound of yarn”
You guessed it. At least a full pound of yarn. You can always find a use for left over bits. Running out of yarn….. NO WAY.
Then there are the yarn lots!
In the past there has been as much as 30 pounds of yarn in one auction. Yes, I said 30.
Where do I put it? When do I use it?
Where is simple. I have small room off my master bath where it is stored. Thanks to the chain called Dollar Tree; I put the yarn into 2, 3 and 5 gallon Ziploc bags. (you get them 3 to a pack @ a dollar a box).
I used to use tubs but those are not see through and can lead to forgetting what you have.

I put a huge bad of Christmas yarns into a bucket and forgot them for nearly ten years.....


This way I can even get a look at different yarns side by side. A couple of my pulled together yarns were created when I noticed two bags side by side.....


I post a picture of today’s arrival.


The two blues are different thread but the color is very close to each other, those I will match with a white to knit a blanket for Matthew. (Dallas Cowboys fan)
The Red is for a sweater for my Danny and the black is a nice weight to use on all the things people say “I want that in black.”
Danny has also mentioned he likes the yellow. There you go all out.
Ohhh that little one in a tan/brown fleck will match some existing micro fibers I have. Another new yarn will be born.

No comments:

Post a Comment