Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Time has simply flown.....

I see it has been a bit since my last up date.

I have several things I ought to write about. The new group, new folks in my life, new baby in the family, turning 48, knitting styles to accommodate differing body types, knitting at the jail while you’re waiting for visiting time. (I promise I will get back to that one).

It has come to my attention that I seem to knit more when I am borderline depressed. I suspect you have recently arrived from a distant planet, one that I think I would like flight tickets for, if you do not know how much your kids, men, money and your job can push you into that state. I have been told by Tori that I was guilty of phoning it in for the last two years. I hear divorce can do that to you….

When I knit I sit and knit and in my little world I have control. I can tear out and redo if I have a problem. If it gets sticky I put it down and work on another project. I complete projects many that will be given to those who are more in need than us. I feel better. I knit more.

Our knitting group split up into two groups in May. Peggy, who started Chicks-with-sticks, had to switch up her nights and move to Wednesday. I have a son who is using my car and going to Technical College three nights a week. I, therefore like many have “plans” for Wednesday and offered to keep the Thursday night spot. I miss Peggy, but we still have a good group. In May Ilse paid us a visit. She is a wonderful crotchetier and wanted to learn to knit. She at one point said that night, “so tell me about yourself.”
I began, “Well, I’m happily divorced….”
“Ooooo have I got a guy for you.” Needless to say she did.

I got over my depression about the divorce.

Now I find I have to get busy. It’s late August. In a couple of weeks it will be Labor Day. From there on it will be “holidays”. One birthday in early October another later in the month and us a tribe who makes a big deal out of Halloween.

Money has been tight. Again this year we will be shopping the stash and making gifts. To their credit my adult children if they really don’t love my knitted gifts they at least have the good grace to gush and say profuse “thank yous”.

I can recall the days when I had my life more tightly knit. I began to decorate for Halloween on Labor Day and had all the Christmas gifts bought and tucked in the closet my Halloween. We decorated for Christmas beginning on November 2. (November 1 was the wedding anniversary back then). Lights were turned on Thanksgiving Day ….

I was a fireball. I reveled in the times I was told I made Martha Stewart look like an amateur. I only had five kids back then….. No grand babies…..

Now…..
I don’t see our house having 20,000 lights for Halloween and 100K for Christmas. We will most likely only have one tree and although Halloween will be big because Tori is going to wait to have her 18th birthday party that night, I don’t see us giving out candy or trick-or-treating with JB that night.

This year I have all those sweaters and blankets I have been pecking at all summer that will get shipped to the oldest son and his kids. I have GOT to get busy with a couple of those.
Haven’t even started on the oldest grandson’s…. Won’t mention where I am on my son and the daughter-in-law…. Did you know even if you’re knitting socks you can’t knit on the back of motorcycle?

Don came into my life in late May. He has three kids and a mother who live with him. They are really swell kids. I adore Miss Sherry; a great lady. I have been teaching all of them to knit; his two sons as well. My youngest boy won’t touch knitting….

This opens about six different areas of discussion. Teaching boys to knit; knitting for the handicapped; knitting for large men….

All I can say is watch the blog and see …..

No comments:

Post a Comment