Thursday, August 19, 2010

This may be an obsolete entry

Last post I opened sooo many cans of worms.
I think I will start with Don.
He is after several men that I have dated etc. the first one to be interested in knitting. No, he has no desire to knit. But he is fascinated by yarns and technique and my ability to make something that will actually fit him.
Let me preface this by saying that our relationship is a ménage et trio. Me, him and Ellie. Ellie is a 1990 Harley Davidson. I have always loved to ride. I always have. While I shall not go into this here and now allow me to say it is addictive.
Don has pointed out to me that there is a real need for riders to have clothing that will protect them and be comfortable in all sorts of weather. Imagine that, jeans, tee and a leather vest aren’t adequate….

In the manner of Elizabeth Zimmerman I am more the type who looks at knitting as creating a piece of fabric that will fit the person. I measure and adapt to make the garment fit the person I am knitting for. It makes a good fitting sweater easy to accomplish. The biggest key is having the person you are knitting for close around to stop and measure and fit.

Now, accommodating Don; I look at him and see Poseidon. Massive muscular chest the stomach of a mature man who has been lifting great weights for decades great to look at, but a little tough to shop for even at a big man’s shop. He’s something like 6’ 3”. I measured his shoulders for a sweater I started and discovered his neck required 23” and his shoulder for the yoke is a healthy 61”, his chest is 58”. If you have ever reason to look you know… there are very, very, very few patterns for a man this size. In addition to this many of the ones that do exist in any size make a man look in a word … fat.

I found one pattern that began…. “you will need 2000 to 2500 yards of worsted weight yarn.” I could take that the wrong way and get depressed if I were knitting this for myself.

I have, therefore, decided to write “Knitting for the Big Guys”. I plan to take some reasonable patterns and readapt them to men who are not have some mussel on their bodies.

I know that it will be a matter of getting my gauge and sticking to the size and measurements to match.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope for me

1 comment:

  1. I actualy wrote that a couple days ago. Since then I think I have been nicely informed that we are over and done. Today I cry tomorrow I knit!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete